Monday, March 17, 2014

Art 31: Steamroller Prints and Upcycled Sculptures

http://art31.org/Art 31 kept me busy this weekend to say the least. Friday was our big Steamroller Print event for Culture Pop: Roll Repeat. I had a ton (8 tons to be exact) of fun with fellow printers Cat Snapp and Chris Ware. I was on clean hand duty, so I spent the night laying paper and carpet padding, directing our awesome steamroller driver Rick, and pulling prints to be hung. At the end of the night we managed to print a medley of all our woodblocks in one three foot square, including a woodcut from Curator Rebecca Sexton-Larson. I can't think of a better way to have ended the night!

The next day it was back to Art & History Museums - Maitland to lead the Garden Sculpture activity for Family Days at the Museum. I helped the kids cut used water bottles into flowers (or fireworks as the boys preferred to call them) and spirals for them to paint. I was really impressed with how much some of the kids already knew about color mixing. They made some especially beautiful shades of orange and purple. When they were done, I tied them onto our hanging form with pipe cleaners. By the end of the day, we had a full and colorful sculpture that will live in the garden for the rest of Art 31. Or for as long as it can survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment